The Henry Clay Hotel opened in the 1930's as a luxury hotel and closed in 1975. The building was completely renovated and the hotel's individual rooms were converted into 52 apartments. It opened again as the Henry Clay House.
The Henry Clay House was to be condemned in September of 1998. Susan and Perry Madden intervened and purchased the landmark, which is listed in the National Historic Registry. The Maddens have done extensive renovations to the commercial spaces as well as the apartments, adding two new passenger elevators in 2013, a new lobby and installing new modern heating & cooling systems in 2014-15. The next phase will be remodelling the existing ballroom, lobby and dining room scheduled to begin in early 2016.
The Henry Clay has played host to interns and workers from several companies, including Honeywell, Marathon, CSX Railroad, King's Daughters Medical Center, and Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital with the additional convenience of 23 completely furnished apartments.
The Henry Clay House is located on the corner of Ashland's main street, Winchester Avenue, and 18th Street. This prime location puts The Henry Clay just minutes away from Central Park, King's Daughters' Medical Center, the Paramount Arts Center, the YMCA, the public library, the Ashland Town Center Mall, movie theaters, churches, schools, and restaurants.